Tuesday 19 June 2018

#BookReview What My Sister Knew by Nina Laurin @girlinthetitle @GrandCentralPub

What My Sister Knew by Nina Laurin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

We're not just siblings; we're twins. We're supposed to be able to read each other's thoughts. Although Eli is a few minutes younger, he always seemed older, always one step ahead.

It turns out that Eli kept many secrets. And he told many lies. So although he was once seen as the golden child-while I stood by as the silent sister-his web of deception led to a guilty verdict for the arson that killed our parents.

Now his thirteen-year sentence has been served, and Eli is free. But we are still bound by a secret. Which is dangerous because he has nothing left to lose, and I have everything.


*********

After reading the excellent Girl Last Seen last year was I curious to see if Nina Laurin next book What My Sister Knew would be just as good. I'm glad to say that it worked very well for me.

One thing I want to say about this book and that I didn't find the story that surprising, actually I had a pretty good idea about what would happen, and what secrets Andrea had. Not that the whole story was predictable, some nice surprises occurred. However, despite the fact that I suspected the truth is the writing so compelling. And the characters, especially Andrea and her brother Eli, are so interesting that the book hooked me and wouldn't let me go. The flashbacks to their childhood and to the fire that killed their mother and stepfather made the book extra interesting. And, since the present story was interwoven with the flashbacks do we get a little bit of the past at the time which makes the story even more compelling.

I will end this review by stating that Nina Laurin has once again made it. What My Sister Knew is great thanks to excellent writing and character that got under your skin. Now I can't wait to read Laurin's next book!

I want to thank Grand Central Publishing for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

What My Sister Knew by Nina Laurin

No comments:

Post a Comment