Sunday 29 December 2019

#BookReview A Murderous Relation by Deanna Raybourn

A Murderous Relation by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've struggled quite badly with a reading slump the last couple of months and there are a lot of books I've started to read and abandoned and plenty of times have I abandoned books half-way through (if I even get that far). So, I'm not always sure it's me or the book that's the problem. Although, I have read a couple of really good books during the autumn/winter...

Anyhow, this is a favorite series of mine, I was quite looking forward to reading it and I loved to once again step into Veronica and Stoker's lives. Especially the beginning of the book was hilarious, with the struggle of wanting to consummate their relationship and not being able to do so. However, I struggled with the case and reading about the pair working undercover at a brothel should be a lot of fun, but I felt my heart was not in it. And, yes Veronica meeting young Eddy was quite interesting. However, I never really took to him and his problem. Poor lamb, not that bright...

The best part of the book was Veronica's brief meeting in an alley with a chilling figure. That made me wish the book had been more about the terrible murders that occurred at the time rather than the silly Eddy problem at the brothel. But, this series is more humorous than serious so it's probably not the right kind of story for Veronica. And, hence this could the root of my problems reading the book. As much as I enjoy lighthearted historical mystery books do I prefer the darker ones...

Still, those that like this series and love reading historical mystery books will probably enjoy this book.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment