Thursday 12 February 2015

#BookReview Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb

Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There's a thin line between hero worship and dangerous obsession...the explosive new Eve Dallas and Roarke thriller

A crisp winter morning in New York. In a luxury apartment, the body of a woman lies stretched out on a huge bed. On the wall above, the killer has left a message in bold black ink: FOR LIEUTENANT EVE DALLAS, WITH GREAT ADMIRATION AND UNDERSTANDING.

Eve Dallas is used to unwanted attention. Famous for her high-profile cases and her marriage to billionaire businessman Roarke, she has learned to deal with intense public scrutiny and media gossip. But now Eve has become the object of a singular and deadly obsession. She has an 'admirer', who just can't stop thinking about her. Who is convinced they have a special bond. Who is planning to kill for her - again and again...

With time against her, Eve is forced to play a delicate - and dangerous - psychological dance. Because the killer is desperate for something Eve can never provide - approval. And once that becomes clear, Eve knows her own life will be at risk - along with those she cares about the most.

**********


Obsession in Death is the 40th book in the In Death series and the first book I read in this series. I didn't know that J.D. Robb as a pseudonym for Nora Roberts before I got information about this book and I was a bit curious how an author that I associate with romance (albeit with a dash of mystery to them I have read) would be as a crime author. One thing for sure, this crime novel was a lot more chic lit that the usual crime novels I read. That is not necessarily a bad thing by the way. I'm just not used to having clothes described in detail in that way. This could be because this is a female writer, but I can't think of any other crime novels I read written by a female author that clothes is so often described or that the characters are so perfect. That's another thing, the main good characters are a bit too perfect to my taste. They are looking so good, dress so fine and that isn't something I associate with crime novels. Also, I'm not that used to in crime novels that romance/sex scenes take up much space. Usually, there is there in the background, some romance, that's nice. But here we have Eve and her billionaire husband Roarke suddenly engaged in that kind of sex scenes you find in a romance book. But that was actually alright because it didn't feel like erotic, it was OK to read. It wasn't four pages of rough sex, with a lot of dirty words. So I didn't mind.

But what I did mind was the slow pace throughout the book. It wasn't even that complicated story to begin with. Someone was idolizing Eve Dallas and to prove that the person killed for her. Eve and her partner Peabody had to find the killer. But I just couldn't really get into the story. It wasn't even anything wrong with the characters (except that God must have been extra generous with their looks) but I felt several times that I started to skim the text or that my attention wavered.

But the book wasn’t that bad, I liked the futuristic theme of the book, quite nice to have a crime novel set in the future. It wasn’t badly written and I would very much read more in this series. Especially from the beginning since I’m curious to know more about the characters.

So if you like crime novels, like romance novels, then why not try out this series.

Thank you Piatkus for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment