Friday 26 August 2016

The Killing Ship by Simon Beaufort

The Killing Ship: An Antarctica Thriller by Simon Beaufort
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"A group of scientists in the Antarctic face a desperate battle for survival as they are hunted down by hostile intruders. "


Having spent the summer conducting fieldwork on stark Livingston Island, marine biologist Andrew Berrister is looking forward to returning to civilization. But his final days in Antarctica take an unexpected turn when it becomes clear that he and his small group of scientists are not alone on the island. Deducing that the intruders are a crew of illegal whalers, the scientists face an increasingly desperate struggle for survival when two members of their shore party disappear and their supplies are deliberately sabotaged. 

As Berrister and his remaining companions flee across the treacherous, icy terrain, they are pursued unrelentingly by ruthless killers whose true reasons for being in the Antarctic are darker and more dangerous than the scientists could ever have imagined.

**********

I got in my head, for some reason, when I started to read this book that this would be a paranormal thriller. However, I quickly, after reading the blurb, realized that it was just a thriller. However, it was a pretty good thriller, so I'm pleased.

What I like about this book that there were never any dull moments from the start until the end. I mean why on earth would anyone want to hurt a bunch of scientists? And, would any of the scientists survive? Also, what's it in the cargo bay? I was hooked, and I came to like Berrister, Mortimer, and the rest very much and I was worried that any of them would die. Antarctica is a danger place as it is, but having people after you for some strange reason. Well, that's tough!

I love reading books about Antarctica, whether it be thrillers or literary fiction, hell I even take romance. It's such a fascinating setting for a book. The Killing Ship is no exception. And, I like that the ending is open. Hopefully, there will be a sequel!

I want to thank Severn House for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment