Sunday 13 August 2017

#BookReview The Walls by Hollie Overton (@hollieoverton) @arrowpublishing

The Walls by Hollie Overton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What if you could get away with murder?

Single mom Kristy Tucker works as press agent for the Texas Department of Corrections - handling everything on death row, from inmate interviews to chronicling the last moments during an execution. Her job exposes Kristy to the worst of humanity and it's one that's beginning to take its toll.

So when Kristy meets Lance Dobson, her son's martial arts instructor, she believed she finally found her happy ending. She was wrong.

Kristy soon discovers that Lance is a monster. Forced to endure his verbal and physical abuse, Kristy is serving her own life sentence . . . unless she's willing to take matters into her hands. Perfectly poised to exploit the criminal justice system she knows so well, Kristy sets out to get rid of Lance - permanently.

THE WALLS explores domestic violence, the morality of murder and how far one woman will go to protect her family.


**********

The Walls is one of the hardest books this year for me to review because I've had a hard time fully accepting the storyline. But, at the same time was it awfully thrilling to read when everything started to happen. To be honest, did I right from the start feel some hesitancy towards this book. The blurb gives away way too much of the plot, and it was pretty obvious what would happen. And, I just didn't connect at first with the story and its characters. But, I loved Baby Doll, the author's debut novel so, despite not feeling the same intriguing feeling towards this book as I did when I read Baby Doll did I decide to carry on reading to see where the story would take me.

As I wrote previously is the blurb way too revealing. You know pretty much half the book just by reading it. And, that's why it took so long time for me to really get into the book. It got better when Kristy started to investigate Lance background and at the same time starting to plan a way out of her marriage. To be honest, was I amazed that she didn't try to tell anyone (besides the most unlikely person) about her situation or in some way try to gather evidence towards her husband. Instead, did she start to think of a way to get rid of him, permanently. Felt a bit drastic. However, I can't deny that it made the last book nail-biting thrilling to read. Would she, in the end, do it? Could she really do it? I will leave it there and just say that this part of the book was my favorite part, it felt like I breezed through the pages in my pursuit of knowing what would happen at the end.

The Walls prove that Hollie Overton is here to stay. With Doll Baby did she spellbind me, and with The Walls did she prove that even though the plot is pretty obvious is the writing so good that I ended the book, not 100% sure if I liked the book or not (it was very, very late and my emotions were all over the place), but at the same time did it hook me completely. I mean, there are things that bothered, besides the issues I've written about, but darn it, I must admit that the thrilling aspects of the last half of the book overrule that. Now, I can't for Overton to write something else to spellbind me.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment