Thursday 8 March 2018

#BookReview Into the Thinnest of Air by Simon R. Green @severnhouse @Marablaise

Into the Thinnest of Air by Simon R. Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dinner at an ancient Cornish inn leads to one baffling disappearance after another in the latest intriguing Ishmael Jones mystery.

"It's just a nice weekend, in a nice country inn. Nothing bad is going to happen ..."

Ishmael Jones and his partner Penny are attending the re-opening of Tyrone's Castle, an ancient Cornish inn originally built by smugglers. Over dinner that night, the guests entertain one another with ghost stories inspired by local legends and superstitions. But it would appear that the curse of Tyrone's Castle has struck for real when one of their number disappears into thin air. And then another . . .

Is the inn really subject to an ancient curse? Sceptical of ghost stories, Ishmael believes the key to the mystery lies in the present rather than the past. But with no bodies, no evidence and no clues to go on, how can he prove it?


**********

As this is book 5 in the series and I have read them all have I started to see a pattern to these tales. Well, you only have to read two books to see a pattern. Ishmael Jones and Penny travel to a remote place and in the castle/old mansion, etc. weird shit happens and many people die horribly.

Dead Man Walking the first book I read in this series (and book two in the series) is still my favorite Ishmael Jones book. I think because the concept was new and I was intrigued by his past and all the gory deaths, of course, made the book awesome. Yeah, I'm a very easy to please.

Into the Thinnest of Air is so far the one book that I feel is not really working for me. Sure, there were some funny moments between Ishmael and Penny, but the funny banter felt lighter than usual and the mystery of the Tyrone Castle felt neither intriguing nor especially mysterious. People that kept mysteriously disappearing? Not as interesting as people suddenly being brutally murdered along the way by some mysterious foe. And, the ending, well I was not terribly surprised, to be honest. I do hope the next book is better.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love series, so perhaps I'll have to put on a wish list!!

    ReplyDelete