Saturday 13 April 2019

#BookReview Freefall by Jessica Barry @vintagebooks

Freefall by Jessica Barry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Surviving the plane crash is only the beginning for Allison.

The life that she’s built for herself – her perfect fiancé, their world of luxury – has disappeared in the blink of an eye. Now she must run, not only to escape the dark secrets in her past, but to outwit the man who is stalking her every move.

On the other side of the country, Allison’s mother is desperate for news of her daughter, who is missing, presumed dead. Maggie refuses to accept that she could have lost her only child and sets out to discover the truth.

Mother and daughter must fight – for survival and to find their way through a dark web of lies and back to one another, before it’s too late…

Heart-stopping and addictive, FREEFALL is a stunning thriller that explores the deep and complex bond between mothers and daughters.


**********

I have an eARC of the book, but I listened to the audio version (mostly at work) since I love listening to thrillers.

As a thriller did I find the book lacking the extra punch to really make me love the story. Then again, I do read (and listen) to A LOT of thrillers so sometimes it feels like most books nowadays are kind of middle ground books for me. In other words, it's hard to surprise me. However, I did find this book enjoyable. I liked how you got to know more about Allison through flashbacks, why she is estranged from her mother and how she ended up on the plan. I also quite enjoyed her mother's hunt for the truth about what happened to her daughter. What I found a bit of a let down was the ending. Was I surprised? Not at all, it felt like a bit of a cliche, to be honest. 

So, I would say that this book will appeal to those that can really take to the story, who doesn't feel the plot to be a bit predictable. The writing is good and the narrator did a great job. The story was definitely OK. Would I read more from the author? Yes, I would. I found the book held my interested straight through and if the story had just been a bit more twisty would it have been fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment