Wednesday 18 March 2015

Harm’s Reach by Alex Barclay

Harm’s Reach by Alex Barclay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

FBI Agent Ren Bryce finds herself entangled in two seemingly unrelated mysteries. But the past has a way of echoing down the years and finding its way into the present.

When Special Agent Ren Bryce discovers the body of a young woman in an abandoned car, solving the case becomes personal. But the more she uncovers about the victim’s last movements, the more questions are raised.

Why was Laura Flynn driving towards a ranch for troubled teens in the middle of Colorado when her employers thought she was hundreds of miles away? And what did she know about a case from fifty years ago, which her death dramatically reopens?

As Ren and cold case investigator Janine Hooks slowly weave the threads together, a picture emerges of a privileged family determined to hide some very dark secrets – whatever the cost.

**********

I enjoyed this book immensely, much thank to two extraordinary women that are a fantastic duo. I have been trying to think of two women working together that I like as much as I like Ren and Janine, but I can't think of any. The dialog between them are snappy and wonderful, just as between two best friends. Also, one thing that makes this book a bit different that other crime novels are the fact that Ren is bipolar and she is on medication, but that doesn't mean that she is cured so she has her moments in the book. Janine also seems to have some problems, I mean who spends time in the middle of the night laying a jigsaw? I haven't read the previous three books (yet) so I don't know her history. I only know that she is really anxious to lose her job and that is something that really troubled her in this book.

The case was also very interesting. I have a weakness for cold cases and it was interesting to see how all the pieces fell slowly into place and how things in the past came to influence the present time. Beside the case was it also interesting to see how Ren dealt with being bipolar. In the text, you could see her answers, but in italics, you could also see her thoughts and even though she is better you can tell that sometimes events make her very stingy. For instance, her telling her boyfriend about being bipolar was a big thing for her.

This is a great book. I ordered the next book after only reading 30% of it and I usually wait at least until the book is finished before I do that. I actually have ordered book two also so I'm looking forward getting them and getting to know Ren and Janine from the beginning.

I received a copy from the publisher and Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours in return for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment