Sunday, 8 March 2015

The Blue and the Grey by M.J. Trow

The Blue and the Grey by M.J. Trow
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The former captain of the 3rd Cavalry of the Potomac Matthew Grand is tasked to catch the last co-conspirator at the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the trail leads to London. In London, journalist Jim Batchelor stumbles over the dead body of a prostitute and that will turn his whole life upside down, but will also lead him to work with Matthew Grand.

This is the first book in a planned historical mystery series and what a great first book it was. Matthew Grand and Jim Batchelor are an excellent team, and it was great fun watching poor Grand trying to get used to London and its different "language" just a simple thing like ordering muffins at a coffee house and not at all getting the American muffin you excepted. Hell, I would have been confused as well.

But even though I liked both Grand and Batchelor I actually like Inspector Tanner the best, there was just something about the man I just liked as soon as he was introduced into the story and I hope he will get a larger part in the future books.

It was an enjoyable book to read, a good introduction to a new series. The cases were OK, not earth shattering, I mean I wasn't that surprised when the culprits were revealed. There was no "OMG I didn't see that coming moments". I think back in my head I was already a bit suspicious when it came to the killers. I mean there wasn't that many to pick from and it is seldom the first person that the police suspect.

The Blue and the Grey was a nice historical mystery book, precisely the kind I like to read and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment