Wednesday 30 December 2015

A Wilder Rose by Susan Wittig Albert

A Wilder Rose by Susan Wittig Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Laura Ingalls Wilder, a name most of probably recognize, either becomes of her books, or the TV-series, or both. Ingalls Wilder is probably one of the most known children author thanks to her fictional retelling of her childhood. But, what not many people know is that without her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane is it a strong possibility that the never would have been any books.

Susan Wittig Albert has written a book about Rose Wilder Lane life and how it came to be that she ghostwrote the Laura Ingall Wilders books. Her mother wrote her memories and Rose Wilder Lane transformed the memories into the books we know today. It wasn't even supposed to be children's books, and absolutely not fiction. Laura Ingalls Wilder was adamant about that is should not be turned into fiction. But, the stubborn women caved in, in the end.

I had some problems getting into the story. I actually put it away and to read other books because I just couldn't seem to get into the story. It just didn't feel interesting enough. So it was with a bit of a heavy heart that I returned to read it. I've seen so many reviews from people that loved the book and I felt like I was the odd one out. And, it took some time for me to really get into the book. But, it grew on me. It's one of the books that kind of sneaks up on you and take you by surprise. I don't say it was an easy read. There are some parts that were better than others. For me has Rose Wilder Lane always just been the daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder, but here she comes out of her mother's shadow. And, I think she deserves that. She deserves the credit for helping her mother write the books.

I just wish I could read Laura Ingalls Wilder's real biography. Not the fiction books that were written for children.

I want to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment