Thursday 3 December 2015

Ruby Flynn by Nadine Dorries

Ruby Flynn by Nadine Dorries
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The year is 1947 and 12-year-old Ruby Flynn is rescued while the rest of her family perish in a terrible storm. As an orphan is she placed in a convent where she is educated and six years later is she hired to work in at Ballyford as a nursery maid. But there are no children to work with, Charles FitzDeane the master of the house and his wife Isobel have had five children and they all have died as infants and Ruby have been hired to take care of Isobel whose grief has made her melancholic and she hardly eats, just sits in the nursery. But there is another reason for why they want Ruby there, something to do with her mother, but Ruby doesn't know anything about that, all she knows is that it feels like coming home when she arrives at Ballyford...

**********

I was instantly taken in by the lovely cover of the book and the interesting blurb. Ruby Flynn is a strong character, she has survived losing her family and growing up in a convent and now she is finding herself taking care of women that have almost lost the will to live. I found the beginning of the book engaging, with all the secrets and the mystery of Ruby and the legendary curse on the FitzDeane family.

But, somewhere along the way, I felt that the story becomes a bit predictable and I felt that the mystery about Ruby Flynn just wasn't that special. I enjoyed the book, but there were parts of the book when I felt a bit frustrated with and I just wanted to get to the truth. Also, when Ruby out of all people finds a clue to her mother past that's been hidden, things like that is a bit irritating. She of all people happens to find that. And, the instant connection to Charles FitzDeane. I don't know I just felt that it bothered me a bit. That could be because I felt sorry for Isobel who had lost 5 children and her husband travelers away and sleeps with other women instead of staying home and comforts her. His excuse that they never loved each other when they got married. No? That's still you grieving wife you bastard.

I don't know I just couldn't find myself really liking the last part of the book. It felt a bit rushed and the ending felt like a fairytale happy ending. Forget everything bad. This was meant to be.

I did find the curse thing interesting and I did like Ruby Flynn, I just didn't like the whole story.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment