Tuesday 15 May 2018

#BookReview The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths @HMHbooks

The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It’s not every day that you’re summoned to the Italian countryside on business, so when archaeologist Angelo Morelli asks for Ruth Galloway’s help identifying bones found in the tiny hilltop town of Fontana Liri, she jumps at the chance to go, bringing her daughter along with her for a working vacation. Upon arriving, she begins to hear murmurs of Fontana Liri’s strong resistance movement during World War II and senses the townspeople are dancing around a deeply buried secret. But how could that be connected to the ancient remains she’s been studying?

Ruth is just beginning to get her footing in the dig when she’s thrown off-guard by the appearance of DCI Nelson. And when Ruth’s findings lead them to a modern-day murder, their holidays are both turned upside down, and they race to find out what darkness is lurking in this seemingly picturesque town.

**********

If there were an award for the most annoying characters in a book series (that you keep reading, despite the fact) would I award it to Ruth Galloway & DCI Harry Nelson. Sorry, to everyone that loves the series, but Ruth inner monologue about how fat she is and how religion sucks, etc. just rubs me the wrong way. Nelson's thoughts aren't much better. So, when you look at it do they fit very well together. To bad that Nelson is married and his wife is pregnant, although the father of the baby could be Nelson or Michelle's lover. Yeah, it's like a soap opera. The personal stuff is probably why I keep reading the books, it's so melodramatic.

I found The Dark Angel to be OK. To set most of the story in Italy was a nice move and I came to enjoy most of the book, yes, there were too much ranting inner monologues, but part of me has gotten used to it and I have started to look forward to seeing how many times Ruth can think that she is fat or that all the other women are so beautiful. As for the case, I have to admit that I was wrong about the ending, I had my mind set on a different conclusion on the storyline in Italy. I quite like the fact that I was wrong, kudos to the author.

Back in England is a man released from prison that swore to get revenge on DCI Nelson, but the man in question has found God, or so he claims. Nelson isn't sure, and he's worried the man would do something to him or any of the other's involved with the case. But, then he learns that an earthquake has occurred in Italy where Ruth and his daughter are staying and he leaves his pregnant wife and daughter behind to go to Italy. Leaving them all alone...

The Dark Angel is better than the previous book. I told myself that I would give this series one more chance and I'm actually glad that I read the book, and yes I will read the next. Especially since the book ended with a cliffhanger...

I want to thank Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment