Sunday 29 July 2018

#BookReview A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay @WmMorrowBooks

A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

EVERY STEP...
Paul Davis forgets things - he gets confused, he has sudden panic attacks. But he wasn't always like this.

TAKES YOU CLOSER...
Eight months ago, Paul found two dead bodies in the back of a co-worker's car. He was attacked, left for dead, and has been slowly recovering ever since. His wife tries her best but fears the worst...

TO THE TRUTH...
Therapy helps during the days, but at night he hears things - impossible things - that no one else can. That nobody else believes. Either he's losing his mind - or someone wants him to think he is.

Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean it's not happening...


**********

A NOISE DOWNSTAIRS is a book that just didn't work completely for me. I usually love reading Linwood Barcley's books and I'm not saying that this isn't well written. It's just the story didn't convince me. If it had been an author like Stephen King might I have bought the haunted typewriter, but in this case, I just waited for the truth to come out. The logical explanation. And, that kind of made the reading experience just not as enjoyable as with his previous books.

On the plus side did I enjoy Barclay's writing, I always do. He has such a grew flow, even as with this case the story isn't rocking my boat. I just breezed through the pages. Alas, I missed the suspense from his previous books.

Then comes the last part, here Barclay both surprise me and at the same time disappoint me. Yeah, I'm a bit on the fence about the ending. In one way it's WAY TOO typical on the other hand there is a twist that I did not see coming that made me go WOW. That's the way to go, Barclay, chock the reader. So, I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to the ending, I loved part of it, but not the whole deal.

A NOISE DOWNSTAIRS is a book that has an interesting premise. The writing is top-notch. But, ultimately I just couldn't find myself loving the story. However, I did like it and I would recommend the book.

I want to thank William Morrow for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment