Wednesday 19 December 2018

#BookReview Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru by Karen Lee Street @karenleestreet @OneworldNews

Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru by Karen Lee Street
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Philadelphia, early 1844. As violent tensions escalate between ‘nativists’ and recent Irish immigrants, Edgar Allan Poe’s fears for the safety of his wife Virginia and mother-in-law Muddy are compounded when he receives a parcel of mummified bird parts. Could his nemesis have returned to settle an old score?

Just as odd is the arrival of Helena Loddiges, a young heiress who demands Poe’s help to discover why her lover died at the city’s docks on his return from an expedition to Peru. Poe is sceptical of her claims to receive messages from birds and visitations from her lover’s ghost. But when Miss Loddiges is kidnapped, he and his friend C. Auguste Dupin must unravel a mystery involving old enemies, lost soulmates, ornithomancy, and the legendary jewel of Peru.

**********

Nowadays I listen to more books than I read. That's why I'm always thrilled when I can combine books I have (whether it be arcs or books I have bought). This gives me the opportunity to listen to books at work and then read when I get home. Like with this book that I've been looking forward to reading. First, I want to say that my knowledge of Edgar Allan Poe is very basic, I know some of what he has written and of course details of his life (and quite puzzling death). But, I was ignorant enough that it took me some googling to realize (or remember) that Dupin is his own creations. Adding those books to my want to read list btw.

As for this book. I was charmed. I know that Virginia (Sissy) was only 13 when she married Edgar Poe (27 at the time). And, that may seem, especially nowadays a bit off-putting. However, Sissy is a truly great character, and so is her mother and of course Edgar himself. Not to mention C. Auguste Dupin. I quite enjoy the mystery that Helena Loddiges brought to the family Poe's house. And, Helena is such a wonderfully eccentric character with her love for birds. I love historical mysteries and I especially love those with real people staring. Well, and of course as with books like this one, characters that are the creation of the real person that happens to have become a fictional character. LOL, yes that line felt a bit odd writing.

This is a great book and I can't wait to read/or listen to the first book in the series!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment