Thursday 27 December 2018

#BookReview A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan

A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Winter 1917. As the First World War enters its most brutal phase, back home in England, everyone is seeking answers to the darkness that has seeped into their lives.

At Blackwater Abbey, on an island off the Devon coast, Lord Highmount has arranged a spiritualist gathering to contact his two sons who were lost in the conflict. But as his guests begin to arrive, it gradually becomes clear that each has something they would rather keep hidden. Then, when a storm descends on the island, the guests will find themselves trapped. Soon one of their number will die.
For Blackwater Abbey is haunted in more ways than one . . . 

An unrelentingly gripping mystery packed with twists and turns, A House of Ghosts is the perfect chilling read next winter.

**********

I would say that A House of Ghosts is a book that is perfectly all right. It's neither scary nor that thrilling to be perfectly honest. However, it's a good story. It's a story to be read when it's dark and stormy outside and you are all alone in a house (far far away from civilization preferably). Of course, it's perfectly all right to read it in bed in the dark as I did. Not that stormy outside, but I was alone.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. The story in itself is interesting, and it has everything you want in a mystery book. An isolated place, people with secrets, a promise of romance and of course ghost. Who doesn't love ghosts? I just wish the story had been a bit more tense, a little more thrilling. Then, it would have been perfect! As it is I was interested in the story. Loved the setting, an island is always a nice place for a murder mystery. Kate and Donovan worked great as the main characters in this book. And, yes I would recommend this book.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment