Sunday 13 January 2019

#BookReview The Flimflam Affair by Bill Pronzini @torbooks

The Flimflam Affair by Bill Pronzini
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Flimflam Affair is the latest charming historical mystery in Mystery Writers of America Grand Master Bill Pronzini's detective series.

Carpenter and Quincannon, Professional Detective Services is a fixture in San Francisco at the dawn of a new century. While the future is unclear, Sabina and John know one thing for certain; they will protect their clients from flimflammers, thieves, and murderers, and do whatever it takes to run these dregs of society into the arms of the law.

Sometimes, that requires a subtle touch. Professor A. Vargas, self-styled medium extraordinaire, and his partner Annabelle, use guile and trickery to swindle bereaved men and women eager to contact the spirits of deceased loved ones. John and Sabina must not only unmask these charlatans, but also solve the riddle of an impossible murder in the midst of a seance.

Other cases involve brute force and personal danger. Such as the theft of a burglarproof safe mysteriously emptied of gold bullion. And John's pursuit of a ruthless gang of counterfeiters, whose leader appears to be a man from John's past in the Secret Service--a man thought long dead.

Adding spice to these exploits is Sabina and John's personal relationship, which is rapidly progressing to an exciting new level.


**********

The Flimflam Affair is the seventh book in the "A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery" series and the very first book I've read. I was drawn to the book because I like to read books set in the Wild West and I love historical mystery books. It's not a thick book, but the author managed to squeeze in three different cases. Still, the book never felt rushed and I felt that it cases dealt with and was solved with enough focus on them.

As a new reader is the main "problem" that Carpenter and Quincannon are new to me and their new romantic status is absolutely pleasant to read about. However, I do think if you have read the previous books will this new status probably feel a lot more interesting to read about. Perhaps even something that readers have felt they have looked forward to reading about. I did find Carpenter and Quincannon to be pleasant characters, I just didn't really love them. They have an interesting history together that I would like to read more about. I would very much like to read the series from the beginning.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment