Friday 18 January 2019

#BookReview The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup @MichaelJBooks

The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

THE DEBUT NOVEL FROM THE CREATOR AND WRITER OF THE KILLING

One blustery October morning in a quiet Copenhagen suburb, the police make a terrible discovery. A young woman is found brutally murdered with one of her hands missing. Above her hangs a small doll made of chestnuts.

Ambitious young detective Naia Thulin is assigned the case. Her partner, Mark Hess, is a burned-out investigator who's just been kicked out of Europol. They soon discover a mysterious piece of evidence on the chestnut man - evidence connecting it to a girl who went missing a year earlier and is presumed dead; the daughter of politician Rosa Hartung. But the man who confessed to her murder is already behind bars and the case long since closed.

Soon afterwards, a second woman is found murdered, along with another chestnut man. Thulin and Hess suspect that there's a connection between the Hartung case and the murdered women. But what is it?

Thulin and Hess are racing against the clock, because it's clear that the killer is on a mission that is far from over.
..

**********

Look at that fabulous cover! I know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I simply love its simplicity. It's the kind of cover I'm drawn to. And, the best part is that the story is ABSOLUTELY fabulous as well! The Chestnut Man is the very first book I gave a 5-star this year (2019). The combination of a thrilling case with two great detectives, the tough Naia Thulin and burned out investigator Mark Hess who has been ordered to take a break from Europol. They make an excellent team, well not at first, it will take some time for them to get used to each other. However, I can tell you this much, the dynamic duo is now a personal favorite of mine.

As for the story, great pace, intriguing case, and what a fabulous ending! I did suspect the individual behind it all, but I did have some other suspects in mind as well. I liked how it all was resolved and I definitely loved the open ending. I ended this book both hoping for a sequel soon and a TV-series based on this book.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment