Sunday 8 February 2015

Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song by Chuck Dixon

Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song by Chuck Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fans of Winterworld only know Scully's story from after he met Wynn. But what was life like for the traveling trader before he rescued a young girl and found a new reason to survive in the endless wastes of a frozen planet? Presented in stark prose by creator Chuck Dixon (author of the acclaimed Bad Times series) we learn for the first time of Scully's past from childhood to manhood in the brutal and unforgiving world where every day presents another challenge from death. Filled with the kind of breakneck pacing, savage action, and high stakes that have made the comic series a world renowned classic, Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song will thrill you, horrify you, and touch your soul. Find out how the saga begins!

**********

Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song was listed under graphic novels on NetGalley, so I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was an ordinary book instead. But I decided to read it since it was a short book and I actually came to enjoy it quite much. I like dystopian books and this one was really good, the world is frozen over and everyone has to fend for themselves. It's basically to eat or not to be eaten, seriously, there are cannibals out there in the frozen world.

I liked Scully, I liked the way the book was structured, him retelling Wynn about his upbringing. It was a great read to follow him from boy to a young man in this frozen world and I'm keen to read the rest of the books in the Winterworld series and to finally met Wynn.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment