Saturday 24 November 2018

#BookReview Flowers over the Inferno by Ilaria Tuti @Ilaria_Tuti @orionbooks

Flowers over the Inferno by Ilaria Tuti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In a quiet village surrounded by ancient woods and the imposing Italian Alps, a man is found naked with his eyes gouged out. It is the first in a string of gruesome murders.

Superintendent Teresa Battaglia, a detective with a background in criminal profiling, is called to investigate. Battaglia is in her mid-sixties, her rank and expertise hard-won from decades of battling for respect in the male-dominated Italian police force. While she’s not sure she trusts the young city inspector assigned to assist her, she sees right away that this is no ordinary case: buried deep in these mountains are whispers of a dark and dangerous history, possibly tied to a group of eight-year-old children toward whom the killer seems to gravitate.

As Teresa inches closer to the truth, she must also confront the possibility that her body and mind, worn down by age and illness, may fail her before the chase is over.


**********

I started to read this book last night and finished this morning. Such a fabulous and engrossing tale. I especially like Superintendent Teresa Battaglia, a woman in her mid-sixties. It's such a rarity to read a crime novel with an older female cop. And, I really really like that. She's such an interesting character. Another thing I really liked was her new inspector Massimo. They get off on the wrong foot, but as the story progresses do they start to have a better working relationship.

As for the case, so tragic so incredibly tragic. It's not often I feel sorry for killers. But, reading this story and especially the last part. Well, what can I say, the worst monsters are those in plain sight...

FLOWERS OVER THE INFERNO is a great crime novel. I've lately been looking for more European crime/thrillers to read. Especially set in Germany, France, Italy etc. And, now I can add Ilaria Tuti to the list of authors I want to read more by.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment