Monday 15 April 2019

#BookReview The Island by Ragnar Jónasson @ragnarjo @MichaelJBooks

The Island by Ragnar Jónasson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Four friends visit the island.

But only three return . . .

Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir is sent to the isolated island of Elliðaey to investigate and soon finds haunting similarities with a previous case - a young woman found murdered ten years ago in the equally desolate Westfjords.

Is there a patient killer stalking these barren outposts?

As Hulda navigates a sinister game constructed of smoke and mirrors she is convinced that no one is telling the truth, including those closest to her.

But who will crack first? And what secrets is the island hiding?

Haunting, suspenseful and as chilling as an Icelandic winter, The Island follows one woman's journey to find the truth hidden in the darkest shadows, and shine a light on her own dark past.

**********

The Island is my introduction to Ragnar Jónasson books and I will definitely read more books by him. The book isn't especially thick, which was very nice for a change. Also, I felt that the size was perfect for the story. There was no need to fill it out with unnecessary dialogue or descriptions. The pacing is very good and I partly read and partly listened to the audiobook version (which I recommend). Storywise was the book interesting, especially since there aren't that many suspects in the case since there were only three people on the island. It's the connections to the case of the brutal murder of a girl ten years ago that makes this story extra interesting to read. Also, I love reading a book set in Iceland, need to read more books set in Iceland. Especially since I love books set on islands.

Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir is a great character and her family story is very tragic with the death of her husband and daughter years ago. In this book, is she trying to locate her father who she has never met since her mother never wanted to talk about him. I'm looking forward to reading the first book to find out more about Hulda. The island is a great thriller and I recommend the book warmly!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment