Monday 8 April 2019

#BookReview Oracle's War by David Hair & Cath Mayo @DHairauthor @canelo_co

Oracle's War by David Hair
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Gods and mortals collide in the thrilling second instalment in the historical Greek fantasy the Olympus Series.

When Prince Odysseus is sent on a quest to recover his family honour, he’s led to Delos where a mysterious new prophecy has captivated the gods. Caught in a tangled web of intrigue, he discovers that this prophecy is tied to his own destiny and the fate of his patron goddess, Athena.

With the future of his people hanging by a thread, Odysseus, the daemon Bria, the hero Diomedes and a small band of loyal Ithacans, must unveil the truth before it’s too late. But opposing them is Tiresias, the greatest seer of the age, who will do anything to burn his own vision onto the face of history.

Caught between the prophecy, the gods and his mortal enemies, Odysseus must start a war: one that may be impossible to win…

Oracle’s War, second in the epic Olympus Series, is perfect for fans of David Gemmell and Madeline Miller.

**********

I while ago did I buddy read with Erin over at HISTORICAL FICTIONAL READER the first book in this series, Athena's Champion. So, it was only natural that we buddy read this one as well. You can read Erin's review here!

First I want to say that this book definitely works best if you have read the first book. The story in this book pretty much picks up right after the first book ended. And, one of the reasons I liked this book better than the first, is the fact that the characters have now been introduced and established in the first book. So, new readers may feel a bit lost. Secondly, I just want to say that I love this retelling of Odysseus life. Odysseus has always been a favorite of mine and I adore David Hair & Cath Mayo take on his life.

In Oracle's War is Odysseus younger sister preparing to get married to the man she loves, but a cruel act against her and her fiance change everything. To find out the truth must Odysseus travel to Delos where a new prophecy is causing turmoil. But, Odysseus enemy in this book is the great seer Tiresias who will not let anyone or any prophecy stop his plan.

I really liked the first book, but I found the story in this book to be even more captivating. Also, I was very happy to finally be introduced to a character that will play a very important role later on in Odysseus life. I will not spoil anything, so you just have to read the book to find out for yourself. It's a great book and I'm looking forward to next!  

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment