Monday 20 April 2015

The Last Moriarty by Charles Veley

The Last Moriarty by Charles Veley
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are enlisted by the Prime Minister to solve the murder of John D. Rockefellers security agent before the incident can derail an upcoming British-American summit. At the same time, a young woman contacts Holmes to help her find her parents.

I was quite looking forward to reading this book after seeing it on Amazon and was happy when I saw it on NetGalley. Now I'm glad that I didn't buy it since it was so predictable that it was hard to enjoy reading the book. Predictable and sometimes utterly jaw dropping ridicules. Especially when it comes to Sherlock Holmes, or I should say that all that is ridicules with this book has to do with Sherlock Holmes, because he is nothing like Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and that's the biggest problem with the book. Giving Sherlock Holmes a past story that really goes against the man that Doyle wrote about is something I just can't abide with.


I also had some problem with the story, the biggest problem was that the characters weren't that memorable. It felt like every time I picked up the book and they mentioned some name I just sat there thinking "who was he again?". Also, jealousy over a woman that's why professor Moriarty set out to destroy Holmes? Come on!

So no, this book didn't work for me. I'm picky when it comes to Sherlock Holmes stories. I want Sherlock Holmes to be Sherlock Holmes, not some romanticized version and I want a good story!

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment