Sunday 26 April 2015

#BookReview Dry Bones by Craig Johnson @ucrosspop25 @VikingBooks

Dry Bones by Craig Johnson
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Wyoming’s beloved lawman must solve his coldest case yet when a T. rex skeleton surfaces—along with a dead rancher—in Absaroka County.

Longmire, the TV adaptation of Craig Johnson’s New York Timesbestselling Walt Longmire Mystery series, has ratcheted up demand for the Wyoming sheriff’s written adventures. Publishing on the heels of the Longmire boxed set, Dry Bones is certain to join Johnson’s four most recent Longmire novels when it moseys on up the New York Times bestseller list.

When the largest, most complete fossil of a Tyrannosaurus rex is discovered in Absaroka County, it would appear to have nothing to do with Walt. That is, until the Cheyenne rancher on whose land she's found is himself found face down in a turtle pond. As a number of parties vie for ownership of the priceless remains, including rancher Danny Lone Elk’s family, the Cheyenne tribe, the Deputy Attorney General, and a cadre of FBI men, Walt must recruit undersheriff Victoria Moretti, Henry Standing Bear, and Dog to investigate a sixty-six million year-old cold case that’s starting to heat up fast.


**********

Craig Johnson's books about Sheriff Walt Longmire is a wonderful series, but I do miss the old days when I didn't have to wait a year until the next book. Walt Longmire is a marvelous character, he has that kind of old cowboy way that I love. The John Wayne feeling. Strong, reliable and tough and, as usual, Walt has a tendency to get into problems. I don't think I have read a book in this series when he doesn't end up in any way in the hospital. This book is not an exception. One thing I truly enjoyed was that Walt and Vic finally had the BIG talk that I have been waiting for since I read book nine in series (A Serpent's Tooth), the talked I waited to read in book ten that never happened.

When it came to the T-Rex story must I admit that even though I enjoyed reading it was the stuff around the case that I most liked. It was a difficult case, was it murder or not? Who would, in the end, claim the T-Rex? But the things happening around, a heartbreaking death that I didn't see coming, the openhearted discussion between Walt and Vic and then the realization that an old enemy is back was the best part of the book.

So in the end, the book gets 4.5 stars. I liked the book very much, but I would have liked a much more intense and interesting case.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment