Tuesday 26 April 2016

Sister Eve and the Blue Nun by Lynne Hinton

Sister Eve and the Blue Nun by Lynne Hinton
My rating: 1.5 of 5 stars

Sister Eve has returned to the monastery after solving several crimes with her father at the Divine Private Detective Agency. She is torn between staying as a nun or continue solving crimes. But, it seems that not even in the monastery can she find the peace and quiet time she needs to find her answer. A visiting guest is found murdered, and all the evidence points to a monk, the deceased brother...

Sometimes I disregard my gut feeling and keep on reading a book that just from the start
doesn't feel right for me. This is one of those times. I mean the idea of a nun solving crime sounds interesting and the cover is gorgeous. However, the book was mostly dull to read and Sister Eve either annoyed me or bored me.

This is the first book in the A Divine Private Detective Agency Mystery series that I have read. I have previously been curious about this series, but now I feel that I don't have any inclinations to reading any more books in this series. Perhaps the book would have worked better for me if it weren't a cozy mystery book. For me, less coziness and more drama and suspense would perhaps be better.

The case was just not that interesting, and if the book weren't so easy to read would have stopped and picked something else to read, but I hoped it would get better and when I had read 40% I just thought that I had come this far I might as well finish the book. Unfortunately, it never picked up speed and I failed to connect with Sister Eve. And, there were moments when I felt that her amateurish way, keeping evidence, and putting herself in danger just annoyed the hell out of me.

So, no this is not a series for me. I do like a cozy mystery now and then, but I want the books to be charming and with likable characters.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment