Wednesday 5 October 2016

#BookReview A Terrible Beauty by Tasha Alexander

A Terrible Beauty by Tasha Alexander
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In this thrilling new novel in the New York Times bestselling series, Lady Emily travels to Greece where a ghost from her past returns to haunt her amid the ruins.

Lady Emily retreats to her villa on the island of Santorini for a brief respite from London. But when she arrives, the housekeeper informs her that the master of the house has returned—Emily’s first husband who died a decade earlier...


**********

First I want to say how refreshing it is with a blurb that doesn't give away half the book or some key events. Instead, it just intrigues one's mind with the question: what if Philip didn't die all those years ago? What happened to him, and why would he reveal himself to Emily now?

I have to confess that I struggled with the first book in this series when I read it a little while ago. I wanted to read the first book before I read this book and since I had it on my bookshelf for over one year did I find it was perhaps time for it now. My problem with the first book was that I didn't find the characters nor the story engrossing and I hoped this one would appeal to me a bit more. And, yes in a way it did, but in a way, I still struggled with the characters. Lady Emily isn't really a bad character, she just does not interest me so much. I have nothing against her, she just feels a bit lackluster as an individual. But, I don't mind reading about her. However, I found Colin boring as hell. Sorry, he's just not a person that I like especially much, not in this book nor in the first book. I was actually quite dejected when I read the first book and realized that Emily and Colin were getting cozy. And, now, here in book eleven are married with children. *sigh* Sorry, sometimes some characters just don't appeal to me for some reason...

However, I was interested in finding out how it all would turn out. Was this really Philip back from the dead? And, I have to admit, I did like Philip more than Colin (probably the only reader who does). But, then I did like Philip quite a lot in the first book, despite him being "dead".

The mystery of Philip and if he is really Philip, and where he had been was the highlight of the book and the one thing that really made this book interesting to read. I was curious to see how it all would end, and I did not expect that ending. Perhaps it was a bit over the top. But, still, it was surprising...

I want to thank St. Martin's Press for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley! 

No comments:

Post a Comment