Tuesday 4 October 2016

#BookReview Michelangelo's Ghost by Gigi Pandian

Michelangelo's Ghost by Gigi Pandian
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Can treasure-hunting historian Jaya Jones unmask a killer ghost?

A lost work of art linking India to the Italian Renaissance. A killer hiding behind a centuries-old ghost story. And a hidden treasure in Italy’s macabre sculpture garden known as the Park of Monsters…

Filled with the unexpected twists, vivid historical details, and cross-cultural connections Pandian is known for, Michelangelo’s Ghost is the most fast-paced and spellbinding Jaya Jones novel to date.

When Jaya’s old professor dies under eerie circumstances shortly after discovering manuscripts that point to a treasure in Italy’s Park of Monsters, Jaya and her brother pick up the trail. From San Francisco to the heart of Italy, Jaya is haunted by a ghost story inexorably linked to the masterpieces of a long-dead artist and the deeds of a modern-day murderer. Untrustworthy colleagues, disappearing boyfriends, and old enemies—who can Jaya trust when the ghost wails?

**********

I adore the Jaya Jones series. True, I have only read the previous book in the series, but I loved it. It was such an easy-going adventurous story and I'm glad to say that this book was just as good as the previous one. Jaya Jones old professor contacts her with a tantalizing discovery. A manuscript that could show the way to some hidden masterpieces by a disgraced Renaissance artist. However, Jaya wonders if there someone out there who is after the masterpieces when the professor suspiciously dies. Someone that doesn't hesitate to kill to get to them...

In this book is Jaya Jones teaming up with her brother Mahilan and his girlfriend Ava in searching for clues to where the artist Lazzaro Allegri's masterpieces can be hidden. Of course, Jaya's boyfriend Lane Peters is also in the book, even though he is not traveling with her to Italy since they can really have an open relationship because of his past. And, he has another "job". I was a bit sad that my favorite character Henry North didn't seem to be in the story, but I got myself a surprise when he did have a cameo later on in the book. It's so typical of me to like the "bad guy" the most!

The story was wonderfully engaging and interesting, sure I did see some twist coming, but I enjoyed the book immensely. Pandian sure knows how to write a great adventure story with interesting and likable characters. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have the first two books in the series, but I have yet not read them.

I want to thank Henery Press for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment