Monday 28 March 2016

Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn


Because of Miss Bridgerton
by Julia Quinn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child, the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Billie Bridgerton has always been expected to fall in love with one of the Rokjesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors and friends for centuries and the tomboy Billie has always been close to Edward and Andrew and someday one of the would make a perfect husband. The only on of the brothers that wouldn't make a good husband is the older brother George. He and Billie have always had a strained relationship. That is until fate steps in...

I was kind of desperate the other day for a change in genre. I had read so many crime novels in a row that I just couldn't face reading another one and guess what? This book showed up in the mail. I was literally going locking my door going down the stairs thinking I need something else to read and this book was in my mailbox. Like magic. Or perhaps thanks to the publisher and the mailman (and some magic)

Anyway, I devoured this book in a single day, most actually during one sitting. Which is odd since it's a romance book and the one genre I read very little of. But, I guess it was what I needed at the time. The book wasn't perfect, but it was damn funny and easy to read. The only part where I felt the pace slowing a bit down was during George and Billies stay in London, but it was the typical part of the book when the both have realized that they love each other but haven't confessed it to each other. The love dance, or the mating ritual part of the book. For some reason, I always get a bit annoyed with having to read about two people clearly in love but unable to express it other than being jealous.

But, all and all, the book was good. I loved the intro with Billie stuck on a roof and having George rescue her and the Pall Mall game with some guests as also fun. The book also took a more serious tone towards the middle of the book when George's family got some bad news. I like the mix of romance, comedy and drama in books and it worked fine in this book.

So if this book can make even a non-reader of romance happy, then I guess the ones that usually reads romance will love this book!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to try this author. She's very popular in my counrty and I keep hearing only good things about her work.
    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one of few historical romance authors I like to read! :)

      Delete