Saturday 11 June 2016

Whispers in the Mist by Lisa Alber

Whispers in the Mist by Lisa Alber
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There's a whisper in the mists


In Lisfenora, Ireland, a strange fog has rolled in off the Atlantic. Along with the fog comes tales of Grey Man, a predatory faery of local lore who snatches innocent souls into his deadly gloom.

And with the mists come murder

When a teenage boy dies in Detective Sergeant Danny Ahern's arms, Danny finds himself pursuing his own grey man, a killer who becomes more elusive the closer Danny gets to the truth. A mute woman may be the key to solving the murder and helping Danny heal his own broken life, but first she must unlock the memories from her past.

Part psychological suspense, part mystery, Lisa Alber's haunting tale of family secrets and broken love won't let you go until the final twist.

**********

I so wanted to like this book, the story and the great cover made the book seem so appealing. But, there was just something lacking with the book. I had no problems with this being the second book in a series. It was easy to read and the mentioning of past events never bothered me instead it explained the reason for how thing are in Lisfenora and its inhabitants. And, the book started off quite good, but somewhere along half of the book the story just started to drag and it lost its flow and never really got it back.

I suspect that I was partly disappointed because of the lacking of the "Grey Man". As I'm quite fond of paranormal aspects of books did I hope that there could be perhaps something more to the story than an ordinary murder case. It didn't even have to be "real" paranormal, just a hint of something weird. Yes, I know this is not a paranormal book, but this is Ireland with a rich mythological history. And I love mythology and the mix of past superstitions and present skepticism kind of books.

However, it was just foggy weather, perfect for committing a crime. And, it's the crime part that just didn't work that much for me. I just couldn't find myself interested enough, despite the fact that the characters were OK.

So, despite a promising beginning was this not a book for me. I did like parts of the book, but I also had to force myself to read towards the end. The idea of the Grey Man sounded intriguing, but I never felt that it was intriguing enough to make the reading better.

I want to thank Midnight Ink for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!  

No comments:

Post a Comment