Monday 25 June 2018

#BookReview The Body Counter by Anne Frasier @amazonpub

The Body Counter by Anne Frasier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Months after discovering the mastermind behind her own kidnapping, Detective Jude Fontaine is dealing with the past the only way she knows how: by returning to every dark corner of it. But it’s a new, escalating series of mass slayings that has become her latest obsession at Homicide.

At first, Jude and her partner, Detective Uriah Ashby, can see no pattern to the seemingly random methods, the crime scenes, or the victims—until they’re approached by a brilliantly compulsive math professor. He believes that the madman’s next move is not incalculable; in fact, it’s all part of a sequential and ingenious numerical riddle. His theory is adding up. The body count is rising.

But when the latest victim is found in Jude’s apartment, the puzzle comes with a personal twist that’s going to test the breaking point of her already-fragile state of mind. For all she knows, her number may be up.

**********

I haven't read the first book in this series, The Body Reader, but you get enough information in this book to get the gist of that story. Detective Jude Fontaine was kidnapped and held captive for three years. But, she got away and is now working again, although her ordeal is still causing problems like nightmares and a dislike of people touching her.

In The Body Counter is she and her partner Uriah Ashby, (Yeah I can't stop thinking Uriah Heep) after a madman that is killing people, at first what it seems like a random pattern. Then, a math professor tells them his theory. Which makes a frightening pattern with increasing numbers of murders.

The book is good, I found the story interesting and engaging. However, part of me feels that this wounded heroine theme, a female detective with demons in the past (not actually demons, unfortunately, that would have been interesting) is everywhere now. I read a lot of books like this and that means that they have to really feel different, or at least truly grab me for me to really like it. This one just didn't grab me. I didn't feel like I needed to read the first book right away or long for the next book. It's OK, but the book wasn't that thrilling nor truly surprising. Would I recommend it? Yes, because the writing is good and just because I didn't love the book doesn't it mean that it won't pull other readers in. If I get the chance to read the next book would I do it because I did enjoy the story and the partnership between Jude and Uriah.

I want to thank Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment