Wednesday 27 June 2018

#BookReview The Girl Who Was Taken by Charlie Donlea @CharlieDonlea @KensingtonBooks

The Girl Who Was Taken by Charlie Donlea
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Nicole Cutty and Megan McDonald are both high school seniors in the small town of Emerson Bay, North Carolina. When they disappear from a beach party one warm summer night, police launch a massive search. No clues are found, and hope is almost lost until Megan miraculously surfaces after escaping from a bunker deep in the woods.

A year later, the bestselling account of her ordeal has turned Megan from local hero to national celebrity. It s a triumphant, inspiring story, except for one inconvenient detail: Nicole is still missing. Nicole's older sister Livia, a fellow in forensic pathology, expects that one day soon Nicole's body will be found, and it will be up to someone like Livia to analyze the evidence and finally determine her sister's fate. Instead, the first clue to Nicole's disappearance comes from another body that shows up in Livia's morgue that of a young man connected to Nicole's past. Livia reaches out to Megan for help, hoping to learn more about the night the two were taken. Other girls have gone missing too, and Livia is increasingly certain the cases are connected.

But Megan knows more than she revealed in her blockbuster book. Flashes of memory are coming together, pointing to something darker and more monstrous than her chilling memoir describes. And the deeper she and Livia dig, the more they realize that sometimes true terror lies in finding exactly what you've been looking for.

**********

Confession, Summit Lake was not a favorite book of mine. However, I did feel that that book was good enough for me to wanna try another of Charlie Donlea's books and I'm glad I did because The Girl Who Was Taken is great!

First I want to say that I don't get really surprised that much nowadays when I read thrillers, at least it feels like that. I often have a hunch about what will happen, so getting totally taken by surprise is rare. Which makes this book a delicious treat because the last part truly pulled the rug out under my feet. I had several suspects in my head, but I was wrong. So wrong. And, that thrilled me!

Secondly, Livia, the older sister of Nicole that was taken is a marvelous character, she's a fellow in forensic pathology, and she is expecting to one day find her sister on the slab. And, when a body shows up that is connected to Nicole can she perhaps find answers and peace. I liked her storyline the most, not that the Megan's is bad or the flashbacks to when Nicole and Megan were taken. But, following Livia, as she discovers more and more about what happened that night is truly great.

Now, I will leave it to this. The book is great, and I don't want to give ANYTHING away. Instead, just read it!

I want to thank Kensington Books for providing me with free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment