Sunday 24 June 2018

#BookReview In the Grip of It by Sheena Kamal @HarperCollins

In the Grip of It by Sheena Kamal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On a surveillance assignment for a child custody case, PI-in-training Nora Watts finds herself ensconced in a small farming community on a beautiful hippie island in the Pacific Northwest, a place with a reputation for being welcoming to outsiders. But when she arrives there, she discovers her welcome quickly wears thin. Perhaps too quickly.

Salt Spring Island, with a history as a refuge for African Americans fleeing the bonds of slavery, is not a place of refuge for her—and, she suspects, may not be for the people who live there, either.

As she investigates, nothing about this remote community seems to add up. It gets personal as Nora confronts her own complicated feelings toward her estranged daughter and becomes increasingly concerned about the child she’s been tasked to surveil. She discovers that small, idyllic communities can hide very big secrets.

*********

Last year I read the marvelous thriller The Lost Ones by Sheena Kamal. And, now I'm waiting to read In the Grip of It that I have waiting for me. But, a while did I read In the Grip of it, a novella that takes place between the books. And, what a great story it was. 

Nora Watts is hired to find a woman and her son that have joined a community. At first, does the place seem quite alright, but after digging around does she get the feeling that something is wrong, dangerously so...

In the Grip of It can easily be read as a stand-alone novella. You get some tidbits about Nora so you know the gist about her so having not read the first book wouldn't be a problem. I personally liked this story so much that I'm now dying to read the sequel novel!

I want to thank Witness Impulse for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment