Saturday 22 December 2018

#BookReview Formula of Deception by Carrie Stuart Parks @CarrieParks @tnzfiction

Formula of Deception by Carrie Stuart Parks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When her twin sister was murdered, Murphy Anderson changed her name and appearance and moved to Kodiak to avoid the press and publicity. But when local authorities discover she’s an artist and request her help in drawing a dying man’s memories, she unintentionally ends up in the limelight again—and may be back in the killer’s crosshairs.

The memory that Murphy was asked to draw was from an Alaskan hunter who discovered five bodies on remote Ruuwaq Island ten years ago, but has only shared the information with the police now that he’s dying of cancer. When they go to the island to investigate, no skeletons remain but there is evidence that the bodies may have been deliberately destroyed. But the big discovery is of a World War II Quonset hut.

As one by one the people who were at the hut die, Murphy knows there is something much deeper at stake. What happened there during WWII? And who is willing to kill to keep those secrets buried?

**********

Formula of Deception is a book that hooked me from the start. I love how the present crime story has a connection to WW2. Also, the setting Kodiak, Alaska really worked great for me. I love stories set in remote towns or islands. And, a crime novel set in Alaska worked well with me since I don't read many books set in that state. 

I was engrossed with the story. I found Murphy Anderson to be an interesting character. She's a person I felt I connected with. Her losses in life really moved me. I liked the characters she met in the book and Carrie Stuart Parks managed to add some really nice surprising twists to the story. All and all is this a great book and I hope this is the first book in a series!

I have previously read Portrait of Vengeance by Carrie Stuart Parks that I enjoyed and I'm glad to say that this one was just as good as Portrait of Vengeance (from the Gwen Marcey series) and that I definitely want to read more books by her. 

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment