Tuesday 11 December 2018

#BookReview Kiss of Death by Paul Finch @paulfinchauthor @AvonBooksUK

Kiss of Death by Paul Finch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Could this be the end for Heck?

The Sunday Times bestseller returns with an unforgettable crime thriller. Fans of MJ Arlidge and Stuart MacBride won’t be able to put this down.

Don’t let them catch you…

A Deadly Hunt

DS ‘Heck’ Heckenburg has been tasked with retrieving one of the UK’s most wanted men. But the trail runs cold when Heck discovers a video tape showing the fugitive in a fight for his life. A fight he has no chance of winning.

A Dangerous Game

Heck realises that there’s another player in this game of cat and mouse, and this time, they’ve not just caught the prize: they’ve made sure no one else ever does.

A Man Who Plays With Fire
How far will Heck and his team go to protect some of the UK’s most brutal killers? And what price is he willing to pay.

**********

I have a tendency to let the books I need to review pile up a bit. So, when I sat down to write reviews today and it was this book turn did the remembrance of the books godawful ending hit me again. And, I had managed to move on. And, now it all comes back to me...

First, I want to say that this is the first book I have read in the DS Heckenburg series, and I didn't know until I had started to read it that it was book seven. That didn't bother me much, just meant I have six books more to read. I had previously read the novella Death’s Door so I was a bit familiar with Heck.

As for this story, it was interesting especially when it all started to make sense, you know why all those dangerous men could have disappeared from the face of the earth. And I loved the fact that a short conversation at the beginning of the book where Heck learns some interesting, but at the time relevant, facts would, later on, be important to the case. Now, the story is good, I felt that this is a perfectly alright crime novel. And, then BAM Paul Finch decided to end the book with a twist so big that I mentally felt my jaw drop. Now, these are all pretty new characters for me, but that ending hit me so hard. I never ever expected that ending. I did feel before that godawful ending that the story had its ups and downs, you know a good crime novel. Some slow parts and some really good parts. However, Paul Finch saved the best (or the worts?) until the last minute...

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!   

2 comments:

  1. I guess it may be worth reading for the ending alone. lol You have my attention.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete