Tuesday 21 June 2016

My Last Continent by Midge Raymond

My Last Continent: A Novel by Midge Raymond
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In My Last Continent, we meet Deb Gardner and Keller Sullivan, two people that have found each other at the end of the world. But, their relationship is not an easy one with long periods of separation. This year a new research season has begun for Deb and she is waiting for Keller to show up, so they can play tour guides to the passengers on a small expedition ship that takes them to their research destination. But Keller never shows up on the ship. Instead, he is on the Australis a cruise line. And, mere days later Australis send an emergency signal and Deb tries to stay calm not knowing if Keller is alive...

This book was one that I eagerly waited to read. I fell in love with the cover and the blurb and was really looking forward to reading a love story set in Antarctica. And, the book was good, just not that fantastic good I had hoped for. It took some time for me to get into the story and all the flashbacks that told the reader about how Deb and Keller met were not always that interesting to read about, not since the present story was more interesting. Sure, with the flashbacks we learned how they met and the reason for Keller not being aboard the ship. But it slowed down the story a bit. And, reading about Deb's growing up and college time really didn't feel that important. I guess I just never really found myself engrossed in their story, not enough to really be pulled into the story. They never really managed to get a life together beside the time they spend in Antarctica, and I felt that Keller was never really ready to settle down in the same way as Deb was. All his reasons for not moving in with her for instance just excused be free, to have a couple of months with Deb and then do something else.

But, then came the last part of the book, and here is where the story turned really good. Now the moment of truth is here, they have reached Australis and deb is frantically searching for Keller, will she find him? Well, that's the questions...

So, in the end, was this not the brilliant book that I had hoped it to be, true it was not a bad book either. It was good, some flashbacks I liked, some felt less interesting, but the ending was superb!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment