Tuesday 21 June 2016

The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne

The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The chilling new psychological thriller by S. K. Tremayne, author of the Sunday Times No. 1 bestseller, THE ICE TWINS.

When Rachel marries dark, handsome David, everything seems to fall into place. Swept from single life in London to the beautiful Carnhallow House in Cornwall, she gains wealth, love, and an affectionate stepson, Jamie.

But then Jamie’s behaviour changes, and Rachel’s perfect life begins to unravel. He makes disturbing predictions, claiming to be haunted by the spectre of his late mother – David’s previous wife. Is this Jamie’s way of punishing Rachel, or is he far more traumatized than she thought?

As Rachel starts digging into the past, she begins to grow suspicious of her husband. Why is he so reluctant to discuss Jamie’s outbursts? And what exactly happened to cause his ex-wife’s untimely death, less than two years ago? As summer slips away and December looms, Rachel begins to fear there might be truth in Jamie’s words:

‘You will be dead by Christmas.’

**********

I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book. The Ice Twins was one of the best books I read last year and to say that I was eager to read this book is an understatement. I was a bit concerned that I had too high expectations since The Ice Twins blew me away, but I was soon relieved when the story hooked me. 

What I love about this book is that you just don't know if Rachel is crazy or just paranoid. She acts odd, but then again, so does her stepson Jamie. And, what about David's wife who died not long ago? Is she really a ghost in the house or is Jamie just a traumatized boy? And, what about David? Could he be behind his wife death? The story is strange and wonderful and I loved reading and wondering what the heck is going on? 

The story made me think of Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Of course, no crazy housekeeper, but the dead wife and the gothic house, and a woman that marries an older man. Yup, that's what made me think of Rebecca.

Of course, it's hard not to compare this book to The Ice Twins and, despite how much I enjoyed this book it just wasn't as captivating as The Ice Twins and the ending was definite not as good. However, it's still a bloody good book and I recommend this book to anyone liking psychological thrillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment