Tuesday 11 April 2017

#BookReview The Burial Hour by Jeffery Deaver @GrandCentralPub

The Burial Hour by Jeffery Deaver
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

The only leads in a broad-daylight kidnapping are the account of an eight-year-old girl, some nearly invisible trace evidence and the calling card: a miniature noose left lying on the street. A crime scene this puzzling demands forensic expertise of the highest order. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are called in to investigate.

Then the case takes a stranger turn: a recording surfaces of the victim being slowly hanged, his desperate gasps the backdrop to an eerie piece of music. The video is marked as the work of The Composer...

Despite their best efforts, the suspect gets away. So when a similar kidnapping occurs on a dusty road outside Naples, Rhyme and Sachs don't hesitate to rejoin the hunt. But the search is now a complex case of international cooperation - and not all those involved may be who they seem. All they can do is follow the evidence, before their time runs out.

**********

The Burial Hour is book 13 in the Lincoln Rhyme series and once again Deaver shows what a fantastic writer he is.

I have to admit that I was not as taken with this book as I was with Steel Kiss the book before, at least not in the beginning. Don't take me wrong, the book is good, well-written, with an interesting case that will bring Rhyme and Sachs all the way to Italy. However, I was not impressed with the kidnapper. The Composer just never struck me as a very interesting villain. Not compared to other villains that Rhyme and Sachs have had to stop in previous books. However, this is Deaver we are talking about, around 100 pages before the book ended did it seem that they have closed the case which surprised me. I mean there is a lot of more pages to fill out, it can't be this simple? And, it was not. It's towards the end that Dever pulls the rug out from the reader's feet and twist the story, and suddenly wow! This is what I'm talking about, now the story of the book suddenly become very intense.

The Burial Hour is a great book. I love that the book story takes place in Italy. That really made me eager to try out more crime books set in Italy. The contrast between the Italian law enforcement and the American was interesting to observe and I came to like Ercole Benelli, the Forestry officer that Rhyme and Sache worked it, very much.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

The Burial Hour by Jeffery Deaver

No comments:

Post a Comment