Friday 15 December 2017

#BookReview If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss @sourcebooks

If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A strikingly sincere portrait of a town and its buried secrets from an outstanding new voice in southern fiction.

In a North Carolina mountain town filled with moonshine and rotten husbands, Sadie Blue is only the latest girl to face a dead-end future at the mercy of a dangerous drunk. She’s been married to Roy Tupkin for fifteen days, and she knows now that she should have listened to the folks who said he was trouble. But when a stranger sweeps in and knocks the world off-kilter for everyone in town, Sadie begins to think there might be more to life than being Roy’s wife.

As stark and magnificent as Appalachia itself, If the Creek Don’t Rise is a bold and beautifully layered debut about a dusty, desperate town finding the inner strength it needs to outrun its demons. The folks of Baines Creek will take you deep into the mountains with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.


**********

I love reading books about small communities in the middle of nowhere where life it tough. So, when I saw the cover of this book and read the blurb did I instantly know that I just had to read the book!

What I loved about this book is that the "main character" Sadie Blue only have a few POV chapters, the rest are told from people around her, like her husband, the towns preacher and the new teacher that arrives in the town. Not to mention the odd lady who lives with a crow. True all these people's POV do vet get not only a glimpse into Sadie's life, but also the hard life in Baines Creek. From events in the past up to the present time in the town. I think one of my favorite chapters was that of the preacher's sisters Prudence POV. She's quite a sourpuss and I thought that perhaps we will learn why she's so bitter and get a better understanding of what makes her tick and perhaps even feel sympathy. Well, let's just say that that bitter cow deserves no sympathy, together with Sadie Blue's husband.

Sadie Blue, this sweet little girl that has to grow up fast when she gets pregnant with the good for nothing Roy Tupkin who as soon as he has her legally married to him starts to beat her. Sadie Blue's hero is Loretta Lynn who also came from a poor background. And, I just love her adoration of Loretta Lynn who had four children before she was twenty. However, the question is will Sadie Blue even manage to have one child before Roy beats her to death?

If The Creek Don't Rise is a wonderful book about hardship, but also strength and perseverance. It's a book that is hard to put aside when one has started to read it and I just love the ending of the book. Although I wouldn't have minded some more chapters just because I love Leah Weiss wonderful way of writing and the intriguing story.    

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment