Tuesday 24 April 2018

#BookReview The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes @AmazonPub

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Elle is a survivor. She’s managed to piece together a solid life from a childhood of broken memories and fairy tales her mom told her to explain away bad dreams. But weekly visits to her mother still fill Elle with a paralyzing fear she can’t explain. It’s just another of so many unanswered questions she grew up with in a family estranged by silence and secrets.

Elle’s world turns upside down when she receives a deathbed request from her grandfather, a man she was told had died years ago. Racked by grief, regrets, and a haunted conscience, he has a tale of his own to tell Elle: about her mother, an imaginary friend, and two strangers who came to the house one night and never left.

As Elle’s past unfolds, so does the truth—if she can believe it. She must face the reasons for her inexplicable dread. As dark as they are, Elle must listen…before her grandfather’s death buries the family’s secrets forever.


**********

The Forgotten Ones is the first book I have read by Steena Holmes and I can't say that this was an enjoyable experience.

It's a hard thing writing a review without spoiling the story, especially since the things that frustrated me the most are events that I can't write about. I will say this, I felt really, really sorry for Elle's mother. She's definitely the victim in this story and I was furious that her father didn't do more for her. Speaking of her father. David should be ashamed of what he did or rather did not do. His action or lack of action gave Marie scars for life.

I struggled with the story quite badly because like Elle did I get fed up with questions not being answered. I mean come one, I would have been furious if I had been Elle and found out that everyone has been lying around me. Also, the story is pretty predictable, right up until the end when the author did a u-turn and abruptly ended the book.

I listened to the audio version and that was a blessing because I'm not sure I would have finished the book if I had read it. But, I liked the narrators. I gave the book 2 stars at first, but the more I think about the story the more ludicrous it becomes. 

I want to thank Lake Union Publishing for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to give negative reviews, too - but sometimes, it's necessary. And that doesn't mean someone else might not enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete