Tuesday 9 January 2018

#BookReview The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman @BerkleyPub @Marablaise

The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A covert mission
A royal demand
And a race against time


The fourth title in Genevieve Cogman's witty and wonderful The Invisible Library series, The Lost Plot is an action-packed literary adventure.

In a 1930s-esque Chicago, Prohibition is in force, fedoras, flapper dresses and tommy guns are in fashion, and intrigue is afoot. Intrepid Librarians Irene and Kai find themselves caught in the middle of a dragon vs dragon contest. It seems a young librarian has become tangled in this conflict, and if they can't extricate him there could be serious political repercussions for the mysterious Library. And, as the balance of power across mighty factions hangs in the balance, this could even trigger war.

Irene and Kai find themselves trapped in a race against time (and dragons) to procure a rare book. They'll face gangsters, blackmail and fiendish security systems. And if this doesn't end well, it could have dire consequences for Irene's job. And, incidentally, for her life . . .


**********

After the last books thrilling plot was I eagerly awaiting the next book in this series. The Lost Plot takes librarians Irene and Kai to an alternative world set in 1930s America with gangsters (and dragons). They have to save the life of a librarian who has been caught up in a fight between two dragons. And, Irene and Kai most try to fix this situation since librarians have to stay outside conflicts like this.

Now, this book was absolutely alright to read. I love Genevieve Cogman's writing style, the humor, and the action and of course the supercool Invisible Library. However, I just want to say that there were two things that just made this book a little less interesting to read and that was that my favorite character, besides Irene, was pretty much absent all through the book. Yes, Vale is not in this book much. Which is perhaps logical since Irene and Kai are in another alt. world than Vale's. However, that doesn't mean that I don't miss him and that I didn't spend the whole book waiting for him to show up. Also, the romantic turn in this book is one that I was not at all thrilled about. I'm not sure I will handle this pairing in the next book. It just feels, not interesting.

The plot, for the most part, was good with two dragons competing against each other. Nevertheless, There were moments when I felt that my interest would drop throughout the story. Irene's usually brightened the dull moments with some wisecrack comments or thoughts. However, I must admit that looking back do I realize that my heart was not really there. That the story just barely worked for me. It could be because of the big confrontation in the previous book and the fact that this dragon centralized storyline just didn't do the trick for me.

However, I will still read the next book in this series and I do hope to see more of Vane in it.

I want to thank Berkley Publishing Group for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment