Friday 19 January 2018

#BookReview The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn @WmMorrowBooks

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What did she see?

It’s been ten long months since Anna Fox last left her home. Ten months during which she has haunted the rooms of her old New York house like a ghost, lost in her memories, too terrified to step outside.

Anna’s lifeline to the real world is her window, where she sits day after day, watching her neighbours. When the Russells move in, Anna is instantly drawn to them. A picture-perfect family of three, they are an echo of the life that was once hers.

But one evening, a frenzied scream rips across the silence, and Anna witnesses something no one was supposed to see. Now she must do everything she can to uncover the truth about what really happened. But even if she does, will anyone believe her? And can she even trust herself?


**********

The Woman in the Window is a book that I'm on the fence about. The writing is good, the storyline is, for the most part, both interesting and engaging. However, the book lacks surprises and suspense. And, the twists to the story is easy to foresee.

Yet, I found myself quite liking the book. It could be that the book reminded me of Rear Window with James Stewart, or the main characters love for old movies that charmed me since I adore old classic Hollywood movies. The biggest problem, however, is the use of a main character that is unstable, thanks to mental issues because of a past trauma (that was easy to figure out) and the combination of drugs and alcohol. I've come across too many unstable characters on books lately that I've started to avoid psychological thrillers with even the mentioning of characters with mental issues or in any.

The writing is good, the story, however, lacks the necessary twist to truly engage and the ending was too obvious. Although part of me enjoyed the last confrontation. I can actually see how this book would make a great movie. I just wish the story had been more surprising.

I want to thank William Morrow for providing me with a free copy for an honest review through Edelweiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment