Monday 27 November 2017

#BookReview Watch Me by Angela Clarke @AvonBooksUK @Marablaise

Watch Me by Angela Clarke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

YOU HAVE SIX SECONDS TO READ THIS MESSAGE…

The body of a 15-year-old is found hours after she sends a desperate message to her friends. It looks like suicide, until a second girl disappears.

This time, the message is sent directly to the Metropolitan Police – and an officer’s younger sister is missing.

DS Nasreen Cudmore and journalist Freddie Venton will stop at nothing to find her. But whoever’s behind the notes is playing a deadly game of hide and seek – and the clock is ticking.

YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO SAVE THE GIRL’S LIFE.
MAKE THEM COUNT.


**********

Watch Me is the sequel to Follow me and as I hadn't read the first book was this my first introduction to DS Nasreen Cudmore and journalist Freddie Venton. I optioned to listen to the audio version of the book and it was in hindsight perhaps not the best thing, Now both Nasren and Freddie are quite young, in the early twenties, and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just that Imogen Wilde made them sound like they were much younger than that. And, I'm sorry to say I just had some trouble taken them serious as a DS and an (ex)journalist. It's interesting how a narrator can affect the book in that way. I just want to stress that there is nothing wrong with Imogen Wildes voice. I just felt it didn't really suit this book.

As for the story. It was OK. The media angle, hacking, Snapchat, Facebook the constant awareness where you are through updates. That makes you an easy target. And, it's a perfect instrument for a crime plot. Nasreen and Freddie both know the effect of bullying and that makes this case very personal for them. It also gets a lot more personal when a colleague's sisters get kidnapped and they got 24 hours to find her. 

I found the last part of the book the best when the pace started to increase when things started to both unravel and be revealed (keeping secrets is never good). As I wrote before I found the narrator not perfect for the characters, however, I did like Nasreen and Freddie and their friendship. It's a perfectly alright book and it's a series I would definitely read more from.

No comments:

Post a Comment