Saturday 8 July 2017

#BookReview The Dark Isle by Clare Carson

The Dark Isle by Clare Carson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Sam grew up in the shadow of the secret state. Her father was an undercover agent, full of tall stories about tradecraft and traitors. Then he died, killed in the line of duty.

Now Sam has travelled to Hoy, in Orkney, to piece together the puzzle of her father's past. Haunted by echoes of childhood holidays, Sam is sure the truth lies buried here, somewhere.

What she finds is a tiny island of dramatic skies, swooping birds, rugged sea stacks and just four hundred people. An island remote enough to shelter someone who doesn't want to be found. An island small enough to keep a secret...

**********

Don't mind this review if you love this series. I didn't know that it was the third book in a series when I requested the book from NetGalley and I also expected a different story, more of murder mystery story on an isolated island than a story about a young woman that remembers a summer long ago and the events that happened back then that affected her life.

To be honest, I should have DNF't the book when I realized that I didn't find the story engaging, but by then had I read quite a lot of the book and felt the need to finish the book. And, the book felt promising at first.

This is a spy story, about a daughter of a spy who tries to figure out more about her father. I found the flashbacks to 76s to be quite uninteresting to read and I never really liked Sam's friend Anna, neither as a young girl nor as a woman. Frankly, Anna didn't really impress me either. I was intrigued by "The Fisher King" Pierce at first, but then I felt that even Sam's collaboration with him bored me.

So, in the end, I just want to say that if you love the previous two books will you probably love this one too. This is not a bad book for the right reader, I just couldn't find myself liking the story.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment