Friday 7 July 2017

#BookReview If You Dare by Erica Spindler (@EricaSpindler) @LittleBrownUK

If You Dare by Erica Spindler
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

A string of shocking home invasions . . .

The desperate search for the child who holds the secrets to them all . . .

A series of sixes tattooed on a victim's neck . . .

The countdown continues . . .

Detectives Micki Dare and Zach Harris are back. It's been three months since that night - the night that Micki almost died. Physically, she's healed but the nightmares remain, and she can't shake the feeling that more happened that night than Zach is telling her. But why would her partner lie to her? Micki focuses on putting the past behind her and solving the latest case she and Zach have been assigned to.

A string of brutal home invasions are rocking New Orleans, and the families targeted seemingly have nothing in common. Why were these victims chosen? And why do the victim's children have such startlingly different accounts of the invasions? The deeper Micki and Zach go into the case, the more they realize these are no ordinary crimes and there's something terrifyingly familiar at work. Their worst fear has been realized--the dark force they'd fought has returned, more powerful than ever. Suddenly, those Micki loves most are targeted and she has to decide if she really wants to learn the truth about that night . . .


**********

Some weeks ago did I read my very first Erica Spindler book, The Other Girl, and I absolutely loved it. Then, I read the novella Random Acts: Prequel to the Lightkeepers Series and found it to be OK, not as good as The Other Girl, but good enough for me to be curious enough to want to read this series. So, when I got the chance to read If You Dare did I go for it.

This is book two in The Lightkeepers series, but thanks to Random Acts did I know enough about Micki's background to understand and know her, despite having not read the first book. And, let me tell you this book is fabulous. There is just something about Spindler's way of writing that pulls me in and I really like the characters in this book. I love detective Micki "Mad Dog" Dare, she is a tough cop, but there is something vulnerable over her, she has built walls around her to protect herself from being hurt. And, Zack "Hollywood" Harris is, besides being her psychic partner perhaps the one to break down the walls (if they both survive to do so of course).

I liked the story in this book, however, it did now and then feel a bit predictable., Not in the boring kind of way, more in that was quite easy to see that Angel's (Micki's friend) need for love and acceptance make her an easy prey. And, that is the one thing that I felt just make the book not reach the 5-star that I was tempted to give it for a while when I read the book. I simply would have loved some more surprises. However, one a side note, I fully understood Angel, her situation, I was never annoyed with her decisions throughout the book. She's young and a bit naive.

I like the book, the battle between good and evil. Have I finally found a romantic surprise series that work for me? It could be the paranormal angle that make it work for me, and that Spindler really writes so well that even Micki and Zacks obvious attraction to each other works for me. Me, that usually have a hard time with romance in books. Also, I really, really like Eli, Parker (Lightkeepers), etc. And I'm looking forward to reading the first book to get to know more about the Lightkeeper. Btw, I did order the first book when I was little over halfway through the book. And, I can't wait to get the book!

Any other Erica Spindler books I should buy and read? 

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment