Sunday 1 January 2017

#BookReview Quick Off the Mark by Susan Moody

Quick Off the Mark by Susan Moody
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Alex Quick investigates the murder of a close family friend in this intriguing, intricately-plotted mystery"

In her former career as a police detective, Alex Quick was exposed to some brutally violent crimes but none as horrific as this. A badly mutilated corpse is discovered in a field, the victim castrated, the word cheat carved across his chest. The dead man was a close family friend of Alex, and his sister has asked her to find out who killed him and why. 

Although they d been friends as long as she can remember, how well did Alex really know the late Tristan Huber? Why would someone murder him in such a violent and cruel way? Whoever she questions, Alex finds that people are reluctant to talk, keeping things back from her including Tristan's sister, Dimsie. The more Alex uncovers, the clearer it becomes that Tristan Huber was not who, or what, he appeared to be. But is she prepared for the shocking truth?

********

This is the first book I have read about Alex Quick. I was intrigued by the cover and description and decided to give it a go. The book starts off with a close friend of Alex is found in a field tortured to death. And, the man's sister begs Alex to look into it since Alex used to be a cop. But, it's not that easy, Tristan, the dead man, seems to have many secrets, and then more people are getting murdered and Alex is at a loss to what they all have in common.

I got a strong Midsomer Murders vibe when I read this book. I could see how the old man is walking his dog when he spots the body, cut to the intro music, and then the murder investigation started. Well, of course, if Barnaby had been a woman, and not a policeman anymore. But, still. Alex had been a cop and just like in a Midsomer Murders episode the bodies started to pile up.

I quite liked reading the book. The story was engaging and interesting, and Alex was an easy character to like. And, one of her best friends; Sam is a hot single bookstore owner that seems to like her quite a lot. I wasn't sure about what who was behind all the murders until around the end when I started to see a pattern, or rather, suspect that I knew what linked all the murdered people together. Although I had some problem with the book, like for instance, I forgot one of the murdered men, I had to go back and reread a part in the beginning to fresh up my memory. It was a bit odd when the person was mentioned in the book and I was totally blank to whom the hell he was. But, then again, there were terribly many deaths. Also, like A Midsomer Murders episode was this book quite nice, but still I can't say that I found it to be that thrilling to read. It was an OK book, the characters didn't bother me, the case was interesting, but I was not entranced with the book.

I want to thank Severn House Publishers for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment