Saturday 7 January 2017

#BookReview The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman

The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"The third title in Genevieve Cogman's clever and exciting The Invisible Library series, The Burning Page is an action-packed literary adventure!

Librarian spy Irene has professional standards to maintain. Standards that absolutely do not include making hasty, unplanned escapes through a burning besieged building. But when the gateway back to your headquarters dramatically malfunctions, one must improvise. And after fleeing a version of Revolutionary France astride a dragon (also known as her assistant, Kai), Irene soon discovers she's not the only one affected. Gates back to the Library are malfunctioning across a multitude of worlds, creating general havoc. She and Kai are tasked with a mission to St Petersburg's Winter Palace, to retrieve a book which will help restore order.

However, such plans rarely survive first contact with the enemy - particularly when the enemy is the traitor Alberich. A nightmare figure bent on the Library's destruction, Alberich gives Irene a tainted 'join me or die' job offer. Meanwhile, Irene's old friend Vale has been damaged by exposure to Chaotic forces and she has no idea how to save him. When another figure from her past appears, begging for help, Irene has to take a good hard look at her priorities. And of course try to save the Library from absolute annihilation. Saving herself would be a bonus.

Irene's adventures feature stolen books, secret agents and forbidden societies - think Doctor Who but with librarian spies!


**********

I would have preferred to read book two, The Masked City before I read this book. But, it just didn't turn out that way. Did the mentioning of the events from The Masked City make me want to read that book? Oh yes, so I will definitely try to get the book one day.

I found this book's story just as captivating as the first book in the series The Invisible Library. All my favorite characters are back in this book Irene (of course), Kai and Vale. Vale has been to a chaotic world in the previous books and it's affecting him badly and Irene ponders over how she could help him without damaging him in any way. I have a favorite scene in this book where they are discussing his condition and, well let's say the tension rises between them. It will be interesting to see what the future has in store for them.

The Burning Page is a wonderful mix of adventure and humor. I love the characters, and I love the idea of an invisible library that collects books from alternative worlds. In this book, the Library is in danger from an old foe and Irene, of course, happen to cross path with this old foe and perhaps she is the one that could save the library? There is never a dull moment, it's action from the beginning until the end. And, it was with a bit of bittersweet that I came to the last page. I want more!

Can you read this book as a stand-alone? Well, yes, but I think reading the first book will make it easier to come to grips with the story in this book.

This series is fantastic, it's thrilling, humorous and adventures and I just saw that book four is going to be released in December. Can't wait to read it!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment