Friday 26 May 2017

#Bookreview Buried Secrets by Elizabeth Meyette (@efmeyette) @AnAudiobookworm

Buried Secrets by Elizabeth Meyette
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

When Jesse Graham almost runs over a “body” in the road one night, she is plunged into a labyrinth of secrets, lies and murder. All Jesse wants is a simple life teaching at St. Bart’s… and a chance at love with Joe Riley. She realizes that plan has been thwarted when puzzling occurrences at St. Bartholomew Academy for Girls get increasingly dangerous. The danger doesn’t just spring from the ghost who haunts the grounds of St. Bart’s, but from a sinister presence that is not ghostly at all. As she digs into the mystery, threats on her life and the life of her student escalate.

Which danger threatens her life the most? The ghost haunting her student or the secrets buried in the school?


**********

I listened to The Cavanaugh House by Elizabeth Meyette a while back and back and instantly knew that I needed to listen to its sequel. In the first book, The Cavanaugh House did Jesse, after breaking up with her cheating boyfriend move to the house her aunt left her. She learned that the house was haunted by her aunt and with a little bit of help from friends did she put her dead aunt to rest. Now everything should be peaceful in her life, but after finding a "body" on the road and once again "seeing" a spirit does it seem that the peaceful life she is after is just a dream for now.

I was very pleased that Amy McFadden narrated this book as well. She is very pleasant to listen to and she shifts between the characters effortless. Part of the joy of this book is listening to her tell the story.

As for Buried Secrets did I find this story a little less interesting than The Cavanaugh House. Don't take me wrong, I enjoyed the book and Jesse is a great character. It's just the plot was stronger in The Cavanaugh House and I was more taken with Jesse plight to find who killed her aunt. And, the triangle drama that I was glad to not have in the first book did occur in this book, although with a new male character. Or triangle drama, it was more failed communication problems and misunderstandings. Why can't characters just talk it book? This is a pet peeve of mine, and I'm sure other readers won't mind it as much as I did. One thing I really liked is the friendship between Jesse and Maggie, who is a nun. It's such an odd pairing and I love their banter.

I enjoyed the book and I would definitely read/listen to more books about Jesse Graham!

I received this audiobook at no-cost from Audiobookworm Promotions. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment