Tuesday 16 May 2017

#BookReview It's Always the Husband by Michele Campbell (@StMartinsPress) #bookbloggers

It's Always the Husband by Michele Campbell
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Kate, Aubrey, and Jenny. They first met as college roommates and soon became inseparable, even though they are as different as three women can be. Twenty years later, one of them is standing at the edge of a bridge . . and someone else is urging her to jump.

How did things come to this?

As the novel cuts back and forth between their college years and their adult years, you see the exact reasons why these women love and hate each other—but can feelings that strong lead to murder? Or will everyone assume, as is often the case, that it’s always the husband?


**********

If I'm perfectly honest did I from the beginning feel that this book just wasn't my kind of book. The first chapter with the woman standing on the bridge was interesting, but then the story went back in time and we got to know more about Kate, Aubrey, and Jenny. And, here lies the problem for me. They are all so cliché. Kate, the rich spoiled girl, Aubrey, the poor girl and Jenny the trustworthy middle-class girl. And all of them are totally unlikable and I never felt sorry for them. Instead, I was frequently annoyed with their behavior all through the book. Basically, Kate is the catalyst for all their problems from day one until present day when all her sins finally catch up with her and now she has to face what she did when she was young.

The big problem is that I just can't see how they could call themselves friends? I mean they have nothing in common and they hardly seem to be able to stand each other, wheel Audrey cling to them like a needy child. But, friendship? No way. For one thing, Kate seems incapable of having friends. I swear, I was so tempted all through the book to quit reading it, but wanting to find out what happened to the woman on the bridge kept me going.

Then we get to part two of the book, and it's here it really turns into a crime novel. And, for a moment I hoped that it would finally start to work for me. But, the introduction to the new police chief who had fallen for one of the three women and suddenly couldn't do his job properly destroyed that hope. On the plus side, there were a lot of interesting twist towards the end of the book, but by then it was pretty much too late to save the story.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!     

No comments:

Post a Comment