Monday 22 May 2017

#BookReview Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For more than two hundred years, the Owens women have been blamed for everything that has gone wrong in their Massachusetts town. Gillian and Sally have endured that fate as well: as children, the sisters were forever outsiders, taunted, talked about, pointed at. Their elderly aunts almost seemed to encourage the whispers of witchery, with their musty house and their exotic concoctions and their crowd of black cats. But all Gillian and Sally wanted was to escape.

One will do so by marrying, the other by running away. But the bonds they share will bring them back—almost as if by magic...


**********

I have seen the movie Practical Magical several times, the last time was actually today, the day after I finished the book for the first time. Well, I did start watching the movie before I started the book. However, I decided to read the book before I finished the movie. I had a very good reason for that. I have a copy of the prequel to the Practical Magic book (The Rules of Magic) and I wanted to read Practical Magical before I started the new book. 

This is one of those times when the book is nothing like the movie, however, that doesn't make the movie bad. I really liked it before I read the book, and I still like it after reading the book. They are just like night and day and there are things I miss in the book, like the spell Sally casts to not fall in love. However, the book is really good as well, I love the way Hoffman writes. This is the first book I have read by the author, but I have several books and now I can't wait to read them. It only took my one day to read Practical Magic, it's an easy book to read, engrossing and never boring. I like the characters, and knowing that the prequel will be about the aunts to Sally and Gillian really make me eager to start reading The Rules of Magic soon.

Practical Magical is a great book, and if you have never read the book do I recommend reading it. It's charming, but with a serious tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment