Thursday 6 November 2014

Chronicles of Steele: Raven: The Complete Story

Chronicles of Steele: Raven: The Complete Story by Pauline Creeden
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Raven has been trained from that she was young to be a reaper, a trained assassin, by her father. But she has spent the last years trying to make amends for all the lives she has taken as a reaper by saving lives. She has not many lives left to save until she can settle down and be a wife to Gregory, the boy she loves and who promised to wait for her. But then she saves a young boy from drowning and suddenly she must do everything in her power to save him from his father who wants him dead.

I was a bit skeptic to the book in the beginning and I had a hard time getting into the story. But tenacity made me continue with the book and it got better and even though I wasn't that compelled by the story did I like the world that Pauline Creeden had created. That subtle blend between a steampunk world and ordinary world. Steel horses, zeppelins, witches etc. made the story richer and made this YA much, much more interesting to read.

Raven was a good character, and I liked Monroe Strider another reaper who she meets on the journey to save Darius, the young boy. I wasn't that interested in the predictable relationship between Raven and Captain Jack Grant, the man who hunted her.

I'm not that fond of YA, mostly because they often (according to me) lack any depth. This ended up better than I expected. Still, I wasn't drawn into the story in a way that made me forget time and place. But at least, the book didn't have a love triangle...

2.5 stars

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment