Tuesday 4 November 2014

Blackout by Tim Curran

Blackout by Tim Curran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In the midst of a beautiful summer, in a perfectly American suburban middle-class neighborhood, a faraway evil is lurking, waiting to strike the unsuspecting residents.

First come the flashing lights, then the heavy rains, high winds, and finally a total blackout. But that's only the beginning...

When the whipping black tentacles fall from the sky and begin snatching people at random, the denizens of Piccamore Way must discover the terrifying truth of what these beings have planned for the human race.


**********

This is my first Tim Curran book and I will without a doubt read more. Blackout was a fantastic science fiction story about a neighborhood that discovers that people are disappearing, that something is grabbing them from the sky. First, it is just confusing for them, the stars are gone, the sky is black and then it hit them! And I really mean hit them, long tentacles from the sky is snatching up people as soon as they touch them. And our little group of people has to do anything to stay alive.

I got sucked into this story so much that last night when I was finishing off the story I had to put the book down a while. I had read I think around 75% of the book and I had to calm myself down because I cared so much for Jon, Billy, Iris, and Bonnie that it was hard reading the book  and knowing every time I turned the page that anyone of the could be sucked up into the sky. This is the first horror/science fiction book that has gotten to me in a long while. The book reminded me a bit of The Mist Stephen King just this book was better, more terrifying and had better characters. The characters in this book, they are not perfect, they could act annoying but considering the circumstances, everything is forgiven in my opinion, it’s not every day you get to be witness to the end of the human race and I would probably freak out too. Blackout is a terrific book and I recommend it highly to anyone that likes science fiction, horror or the end of the day stories!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment